STORIES FOR BBC WORLD SERVICE NEWS PROGRAMMES
If you’d like to suggest a story or issue you think BBC World Service news should cover, then please email us direct, or post below. We’ll let you know what we think of your idea regardless of whether it gets on air.
ISSUES OR STORIES FOR DISCUSSION ON WORLD HAVE YOUR SAY
There are a number of ways you can suggest a story or issue that you would like to see discussed on World Have Your Say. Here are some of the questions we ask ourselves everyday, and details of how you can tell us about your suggestion.
THINGS TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE MAKING A SUGGESTION
– What one question would you like to me to ask right at the beginning of the show?
– Is the debate you’re suggesting going to be of interest to people all around the world? We often imagine a café owner in San Francisco, a taxi driver in evening rush hour in Accra or a student getting ready for bed in Delhi. They could all be listening. Will they be interested in the debate you’re suggesting? And if not, how could you shape it to involve them more?
– Can you send us links to prove that people are already talking about this issue online?
– Why should we do this debate today? What is so compelling that this subject deserves to be chosen over all others?
– Who would you like to hear taking part in your debate? What countries and types of people would you want to involve?
HOW TO MAKE A SUGGESTION
1. EMAIL US AT ANY TIME
The address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Debate suggestion for WHYS’ in the subject.
2. CALL DURING OFFICE HOURS
Our office phone number is country code 44 20 7557 0635. Monday to Friday we are at our desks between 1100GMT and 1900GMT. You’re welcome to call us at any time.
3. POST A MESSAGE ON OUR FIRST BLOG POST OF THE DAY
Every weekday, one of us gets in at 0900GMT to post details of some of the stories we’re thinking about picking up on. This is an example. You can leave your suggestion at the bottom of the post.
4. JOIN THE WHYS EDITORIAL MEETING
We meet at 1130GMT to choose the topic/s for that day and you’re welcome to join us on the phone. If you’d like to, you’ll need to call or email us in advance. And if you happen to be in London, you’re welcome to come to Bush House for the full experience.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU’VE MADE A SUGGESTION?
It’s likely that one of three things will happen.
1) We love the idea and it makes the show.
2) We’re not sure and want to test the water on the blog. We’ll ask you to write a post about your debate which we’ll publish, promote in the Daily Email and may also mention on air. If it gets a big response we’ll definitely consider putting it in the programme. Otherwise, it’ll remain online for you all to discuss in your own time.
3) We’re really not sure your idea works for WHYS and decide not to use it. If this happens, we’ll be happy to explain why we’ve made that decision.
We’re very grateful to all of you who make debate suggestions for WHYS. If this page doesn’t answer all of your questions, you’re very welcome to email me.