He promised the prison would be closed by January 2010 but now President Obama faces complications to his plans as the senate refused the 80 million dollars needed to close the facility. The argument being that the American people do not want the prisoners to be transferred to United States soil.
So, what would you do with Guantanamo prisoners? Would you…
– Put each one of them on a civilian rather than a military trial?
– Deport them to their country of birth?
– Deport them to the country from which they were rendered?
– If not charged with anything, release them?
– Put them in another facility elsewhere?
– Or just keep Guantanamo open?
The Obama adminstration doesn’t seem to have the answer.The Pentagon number three official, Michele Flournoy, said the only way the USA can get other countries to accept some of the 240 detainees is by agreeing to bring some of them to the United States as well.
FBI Director,Robert Mueller , however, thinks that this might risk the detainees radicalising others and raising money for terrorist groups.What do you think should happen, what would you do with a Guantanamo prisoner?